Thursday, October 8, 2009

Women Sports? How About "Other" Types of Sports?

I just went to www.SportsIllustrated.com to find more information about women sports. Curious to find out about women's basketball, I clicked on the NBA link at the top of the page. Glancing across the page, I discovered that there was not one bit of information regarding the WNBA or women athletes. I figured that I made a mistake, and I probably should have clicked on the WNBA section, not the NBA section. So I went back a page and looked for the WNBA section. At the top of the page, I can easily navigate to many types of sports and sports organizations: NFL, College Football, MLB, NBA, Golf, MMA, Racing, and more. Where was the WNBA or any other women athletic organization? After a few seconds, I found the WNBA link, which was listed discreetly under the option of "other." The WNBA link was somewhat of a task to find it, for I basically had to search for it, it was kind of like finding Waldo.

While the placing of the WNBA link may seem trivial, the Sports Illustrated website really reinforces the notion that women sports is somehow inferior and should be ignored. Never in a million years would the website put the NBA or MLB under the option of "other," but they can put the WNBA in there without hesitation. By hiding the link, the website really makes one feel and think the WNBA and other women athletic organizations are somehow less equal, and that notion should not prevail. The popular website has a lot of power and could really send a powerful message by just placing the WNBA link up there equally alongside the links for men's sports, and they could potentially inspire many women and other individuals to take a closer look at women athletics in general. Inspiring individuals, women especially, to take a closer look at women athletics would be good, right?

Eric Harnden
Kin 338i, Section 6
T/R 2:00-3:15 PM

No comments: