Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fat Vs Fit

After reading Unbearable Lessons: Contesting Fat Phobia, I was struck with a million memories of my childhood gym classes. The "fat kids" were always scared to change in the locker room or go on the mile run we were required to do each month. We were weighed in front of the class and even I, who had rumors spread about me all through high school that I was anorexic because I was so skinny, was nervous and embarrassed to go in front of the class. Physical Education classes can be extremely dehumanizing and embarassing for people, no matter what your weight or gender.
It is important for P.E. teachers to be sensitive to the fact that not everybody is at the same fitness level; whether they are skinny or fat. I know plenty of overweight people who have more determination and stamina than I and could out run me on the mile, but because I am skinnier I am looked at as being fit. Instead of weekly weigh-ins and 12minute mile requirements, students should be educated on health and ways to improve their exercise routines. P.E. should not be something that students dread, it should be something that benefits their entire lifestyle and encourages them to want to be healthy.

Tayler Koerner
kin 338I.S6
T/Th 930-1045

No comments: