Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Grading in Physical Education

As some of our classmates in class have mentioned, physical education is often graded on quantity and not quality. It is understandable that it is easier to check how long it tool a person to run a mile than to observe how it was run and for what consequences the given time is what it is.
One of the reason why society has shifted to quantity rather than quality is because sports is a multi-billion dollar business in which only the top percentage of the belt curve graph get to participate and therefore it is only important how fast and how accurate a person can do something rather than seeing if proper technique and process is being utilized. In the perfect world, if kids were taught to work on proper techniques in order for the quality of their abilities to increase rather than checking to see who is faster, there would be more kids that would not be disappointed if they cannot run a mile on desirable time and instead use that as a motivation to improve and succeed.
As mentioned in class, I was also one of those "porky looking kids" when I was younger, yet instead of giving up and letting kids continue to pick on me. Throughout an entire summer, besides regular exercise, I would run from my house to the nearest park two miles away and play soccer for around two hours and run back home. During one summer alone I dropped around 40 pounds and when I went back to school not being at the top of my class but by being able to run with the group. This increased my self confidence and I have to thank my P.E. teacher that because she was not easy on me, she motivated me to set goals and accomplish them.

2 comments:

Kerrie Kauer said...

BLOG posted by Hugo Alarcon

Robin Yancey T/TH 9:30 said...

I definitely agree with this idea of quantity over quality 100%. growing up i ice skated for 8 1/2 years, and the kids that would participate were more high-strung than the coaches, and the parents were worse than the kids and coaches combined! This adds extra unnecessary stress and pressure on the kids to perform at the elite levels and doesn't allow them to just enjoy the moment and enjoy themselves as kids. In a way, those highly competitive atmospheres strips the children from even having fun- their sports of choice then become a job which nobody wants to do all the time. If coaches and parents focused their energies constructively on how well the kid can perform the basic functions and how well they can master the technique, the milestone achievemnts will come naturally. But there is no reason to criticize and ostricize someone because they can't run faster than everybody else or, in my case, do more advanced skating tricks as everybody else. We should be happy with each child's achievements and compare them to the child's own personal abilities instead the masses.