Tuesday, October 13, 2009

RowofLife Guest Speaker Helen Taylor by Nicky Anderson 338I

I was intrigued by what I was expecting to hear from our guest speaker in class...but I did not think she would have made such a profound impact on me as she did. I did some research knowing she was coming to class by looking at her website. I was amazed at all the things she had accomplished. I knew I wanted to know more about her journey. It takes incredible strength and will power to overcome such a tragic accident that left her unable to fulfill her life the way she originally intended. She spoke of sports as her salvage and refuge from what could have been her demise. I found it to be incredibly encouraging to hear how she pursued many athletic opportunities trying to find the new one that fit her and her current situation. Her determination to overcome the boundaries that were put up around her because of her disabilities proved to be more than what it would take to succeed. Her passion shows not only in herself and her personal accomplishments, such as her placing 8Th in the doubles row across the ocean with Franck Festor, but in what she extends to other because of it. I personally do not believe I would have it in me to train as extensively day in and day out for such a test of physical strength and determination. Helen spoke many words that inspired me to set out and try something out of my comfort zone. She had stated not everyone can do what the next person can do and should not be expected to, but each person can do something within themselves to be proud of that will further them to reach out and try for more. I wish her well and hope she is given the chance to row solo and inspire more people on her way. Nichelle "Nicky" Anderson KIN338I

No comments: