Monday, October 12, 2009

ESPN The Body Issue (But Different)

In this month's issue of ESPN the magazine, ESPN offers us a look into the 'Bodies we Want' from the athletes we admire. On the surface nothing seems wrong with taking a look at the perfect bodies from athletes from many different sports. However, once a further examination is taking of this, it is easy to see a clear divide between how these photographers take pictures of women compared to men. Comparing two of the many athletes in the issue, Adrian Peterson (my personal favorite spread even though I'm a die hard Packers fan) and Serena Williams, we can see the difference in how athletes of different gender are still socialized. In Serena's spread she is shown in a black bathing suit while up against a white wall. Easily you can see how a women known for her physical power and prowess in tennis has been reduced to a feature to keep us entertained. On the other hand, while taking a look at Adrian Peterson's spread or just any other male, you can see how through the poses they are told to give, a sense of power and authority are shown. Nothing weak at all. Regardless of how you feel about these pictures, I still recommend everyone taking a look at them. So here's the link to a free online gallery. Pick up the magazine if you have chance.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/flash/zoomGallery?section=gen&photoGalleryId=4535846



Aaron Coelho
Kin 338I
T-TH
2-3:15

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

(Continuation of post because I didn't understand the blog rules at first)

Serena Williams and nearly all the women in this issue are subjugated to being nothing but sexual objects. Although I'll be the first one to admit as a male, it does have an ill affect on the mentality of the culture and what's expected of females, this proves sex sells and even someone who knows this is still blinded but what we see. In my humble opinion, and I know I'll probably take some heat and criticism for this, but we as males, or at least the majority of us, enjoy seeing women in provocative poses. It's more a thing of beauty than it is us to demoralize, but I can see how it does. I don't think every man out there looks at these pictures and automatically gets a sense of dominance and power when he see's women in such shots, but the ill affects they have on women is beyond my grasp i believe. I mean I know Common is going out with Serena Williams and I'm sure he sure he's more than happy to see what the world thinks of his women. And remember Common is a smart and sophisticated mean with a good head on his shoulders. Need I mention "The Light". Its just that men are easily distracted by our eyes.