Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Female Athletes Sexualized

Continuing my research for my Pannel Paper, i was somewhat dreading my pro position on the topic of female athlete posing in provacative and sexual ways. Before researching my paper, ideologically i objected the idea of female athletes posing in such ways. I always figured there is no need for such an act, however, my research has openend up many new concepts that put me in a new perspective. Even though i always objected to the overall idea of demeaning women by representing them as sex symbols in magazines such as Sports Illustrated and Maxim, I have always been very envious of the female athletic body. I always said i disagreed with female athletes posing nude or in a sexual manor, however, if i had such a perefected body, I would want to show it off to! I realized that for many female athletes who chose to participate in such photoshoots, many factors come into play. Female athletes often have a difficult time proving themselves as a successful athlete as well as a feminine woman, two very different roles. I still object to the high school girls cross country teams running out on the streets of L.A. in nothing but short spandex shorts and a sports bra, and im appaled that the high school coaches allow that. However, as women, female athletes still embody beauty and strength, a combination which should be celebrated, not shamed.

Danielle Churchward
KIN 338I
Tu/Th 2-3:15

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

Awesome post. We all have our beliefs and ideologies that we hold on to. One of the greatest things about our human mind is that we are able to control those beliefs and values. I think it's cool that you posted that this new research has opened your mind to new ways of thinking. I too agree that women should not be portrayed as objects of lustful desires. However, the perks of athleticism is that ones body is nicely defined; both male and female. And both male and female athletes like to show their bodies off because of the effort and discipline it takes to sculpt them. Their beauty has always been celebrated since the early Greeks and we will continue to admire the nicely sculpted body. Hopefully one day, we can advance from a lustful admiration to a genuine appreciation of their beauty.

Adam Renteria
T/TH 0930