Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Who's your favorite?

Hello classmates, while trying to decide what I wanted to blog about, I stumbled upon a website. The website is called Women of Sports - Who's sexy? Who's Hot? Who's your Favorite? This rally stood out to me because of one of the panel position paper topics, which I think is based around female athletes posing in "sexy" pictures. The website that I came upon, http://www.sports-wired.com/women/, shows pictures of female athletes where you can rate them on a scale of 1-10 and see how others rated them as well. This website is obviously geared toward males.
I think it's pretty safe to say that there would be slim to none websites out there that allow people to rate male athletes solely on their physical appearance. But I think if I just put in a simple google search I would be able to find about 50 other websites that rate female athletes based on their sex appeal only.
Why is this? Well I think the answer seems to be pretty simple. We, as a society, like to make judgments on female athletes not always based on their athletic abilities but more on their sex appeal. This is why I would be very skeptical about fmales posing in sexy photos because of this. I would fear that they would only been seen as sex symbols and never portrayed as a great athlete.
What do you guys feel about this issue? I would like to hear some of you're input and what you think about female athletes being portrayed as a sex symbol.

Courtney Fretwell
KIN 338I
T-THU 2-3:15

No comments: