Tuesday, October 13, 2009

To think the unprivileged is privilege

Last Tuesday, October 6, 2009 was an eye opener for me. In class we were taught the true definitions of “white privilege”. Being a Filipino, it is hard to determine where my racial standings may be either more to the white or more to the black side. I grew up with a hard relationship with my parents and moved from house to house every year. I always thought that I was very privileged because I always would get what I wanted. My parents worked very hard to become a U.S. citizen and to provide a stable and successful life for my siblings and I. Last week in our activity outside allowed me to really see how unprivileged I was and how there were people who had it easy in life. Seeing myself in the back from the rest of the class set a scar in my mind that no matter how hard or easy it was for everyone to get to where they are today, we are all still in the same place in life in the same class.

Stacy A.
kin338i/3023

No comments: