Friday, October 9, 2009

A story of courage and sacrifice

As a birthday present this past summer I received a small book titled "Amazing Athletes, Amazing Moments", and I just finished reading the story of Kerri Strug. And even as I sit here typing this I am still in awe at what she accomplished. Her story touched me so much I wanted to share it with you all:

It was the 1996 Olympic Games. Team USA had never won the gold in the Women's Team Gymnastics, but their chance to beat the leading Russians came as Kerri Strug prepared to do her part on the vault. As she completed her first attempt, she landed awkardly, directly onto her ankle. Crack.
Obviously her score was not enough to overtake the Russians. So she had to make a choice; she could either sit out the next jump and ready herself for the individual gymnastics competitions the following week - giving up any chance Team USA had at the gold, OR she could risk further injury, risk not being able to compete in the individual competition, rise above the pain and do that last vault for Team USA.
And she chose her team over her chances for individual glory. She nailed the second landing on one foot, then collapsed in pain. She received a 9.90 score, resulting in Team USA winning the gold for the first time in Olympic history.
She had two torn ligaments in her ankle, and so she could not compete in the individual competition. But her sacrifice gave Team USA their first ever gold medal in Women's Team Gymnastics.

The level of selflessness Kerri Strug has is unparalleled. The courage to try again against all odds, risking not only severe injury but also giving up all her personal dreams must have been the toughest decision of her life. I have had plenty of experience with ankle problems, and the very thought of trying to jump off a hurt ankle is enough to make me cringe. I also used to do gymnastics, and the immense difficulty of landing properly on two feet makes me even more amazed at how she accomplished the landing on just one foot.

I hope that this story has amazed and inspired you just as it amazed and inspired me.

Gerene G
KIN338I Section 3023
Tu/Th 2-3:15pm

No comments: