Sunday, October 4, 2009

Successes in Tennis

While trying to find stimulating topics to write about for this blog, I found it extremely difficult to find recent news articles specifically about women in sports on well-known sports websites. The only portrayals of women I came across were cheerleaders and women in bathing suits. The one exception to that is tennis.

The first thing I saw when I visited Yahoo's sports page was Maria Sharapova's face and a headline about her recent win in Tokyo. I think it is great how tennis seems to be consistent in broadcasting both men and women equally. Being someone who doesn't pay attention to sports frequently, I usually seem to know more about the women playing in the U.S Open versus the men who play. That shows how much the mainstream media is willing to broadcast achievements women have made in that sport. However, thinking back to the movie "Dare to Compete" helped me realize that women have been trying to make an impression on sports for decades and so far, tennis seems to be the only one holding mainstream interest. While I am glad that at least one sport has become so popular despite sexes, I would like to see more woman's sports gaining publicity. I hope someday when I open up the sports pages, I see women triumphing in all sports, not just tennis.



Charlene Chang
KIN 338I-01
T & Thr 9:30-10:45 AM

No comments: