Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Physical Education

I completely agree with Sam's blog on how physical education in schools should not be evaluated on how well they can play sport or on how fast they can run a mile. It should be rated on how well a student understand the concepts and how hard they try to play the sport. I remember growing up in middle school I absolutely hated going to PE class. We would get graded on how fast we could run a mile and how well we played a sport. I was never a very good athlete as a kid and when entering middle school I realized how terrible I was at it. I felt singled out, I was always picked last for teams and when being graded in PE I wouldn't do to good. In my middle school each student would have the opportunity to earn colored stars that represented getting an A in PE. Those stars were created to be worn on our PE uniforms, so everyone in your class can know who received an A in PE. Students were able single you out and see how good of an athlete you were, it was quite embarrassing.
PE in middle school really messed with my head; I always felt over weight and out of place. Because I wasn't the fastest one in my class or the best in a sport I was made fun of and criticized for it. Trying in PE was not good enough at my school you had to be excellent at physical activity.

Stephanie Bruschini
KIN 338I/3018

No comments: