Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Yoga and Sport

The practice of yoga in my life has tended toward the erratic side of things, but I still have come to know many of the benefits that come from the practice. Like many people, I too thought that yoga was more of a way to stretch than to get a good sweaty workout in, but after a couple classes my idea changed. Though I only went to a couple of classes after first discovering it, I immediately bought some DVDs so that I could practice at home. Almost immediately after beginning, I started to notice my anxiety levels decreasing. So while it was not a deep and spiritual thing for me I did notice the relief that I achieved mentally and physically when I practiced regularly. Fast forward a couple year and I have taken to running and cycling as my main forms of activity. Like many runners I ended up with some over use injuries and my sports medicine doctor recommended doing some light yoga practice to increase flexibility and minimize pain. Once again the results seemed almost immediate. I certainly see where yoga can fit into a person’s life in many different ways and we will get out of our practice what we get in. So while now I participate almost exclusively in endurance events I try to add in some yoga to put a little balance in my life.
A. Page
kin 338I.S6

No comments: