Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What I Learned

In our final class meeting we did something that I wish more classes would do: we discussed what we learned, overall, in the class.

We answered our choice of two questions from a list of many. Being the super self-centered guy that I am, I shared one of my answers (because I love to hear myself talk, of course).

My other answer however, I never mentioned out loud. Not even when we were talking in our smaller groups.

"Why?", you ask?

The answer is very simple: in all honesty, I am ashamed.


I don't remember the question exactly, but it was something along the lines of: "What is something you are going to do differently because of this class?"...or something like that.

God, this is kind of hard to write, but I feel like its something that needs to be said...

I say the words "gay" and "faggot" a lot. Not with "homophobic" intentions, just when I'm messing around with my friends or I'm calling something "lame".


I am ashamed that I do that. Furthermore, it really was this class that made me feel that shame.


I used to live in the dorms and one of the first friends I made there was a lesbian couple. Almost every day I would let those words slip. I would call my buddy a "faggot" or call a TV show "gay" without even thinking twice.

The two of them were really cool about it, but I could tell it bugged them a little. So I stopped (The best could anyways).

But we drifted apart. You know, life just gets in the way sometimes...and without them there as a constant reminder, I feel into my old ways.

This class, with its close examinations of our society and the underlying prejuices we just accept, brought it to my attention once again.

I have tried to stop saying those words entirely. I don't always succeed (old habits die hard), but I feel like I am on the right track to eliminating those words from my vocabulary.

I know it isn't much, but I like to think that every bit helps in everyone's fight for equality.

Thanks a lot for reading :)

Gus Keller
Kin 338i
Tuesday/Thursday 9:30 - 10:45

No comments: