Thursday, May 21, 2009

You Are Too Young to Have a Negative Body Image

Okay so I still cant get over the campaign ads that were used for my Awareness assignment activity #2. I have always considered that showing a little skin was okay and never saw anything wrong with female athletes posing and showing off their bodies. However, after looking at the AVP tour ads, which by the way show nothing but butt cheeks hanging out of a bikini literally, my opinion has shifted.
I am 26 years old and when I was in elementary school I knew nothing about having a body image. I would care less what I ate and I played sports for fun, not to be thin. I now have a younger cousin who is 10 years old and is a tumbler. We were getting ready to eat once and she said she didn't want to eat because she didn't want to get fat. My cousin is a twig and I can see all her ribs thorugh her skin. I couldnt believe my ears. I also went to watch her perform and was shocked by the itty, bitty outfits they wear for competition; stomachs all out and tiny little skirts. Well no wonder they are so concerned with body image at such a young age. Kids are being exposed to ads all over like the AVP tour ads and our being put in clothes that bring attention to their bodies. It is no wonder young girls are so prone to eating disorders and I blame a significant amount on the parents. Parents are still very influential people and I dont think they talk enough to their kids, especially girls, about their bodies and health.

No comments: