Monday, May 11, 2009

Barriers to Physical Activity

Barriers to Physical Activity

Today, in class, we talked about various barriers women may have to physical activity. One that really stood out for me was the prioritization of the needs of others over our own. Growing up I was always encouraged to participate in physical activity. At the same time, exercise was portrayed as a luxury and something that was done for your own personal good. These mixed messages gave me bittersweet associations with physical activity. Although I felt envigorated and happy after working out, there were times when I questioned whether I should have been doing something to help those around me instead.

To avoid feeling selfish I tend to go through a self-talk to motivate and remind myself of all the benefits and important aspects of physical activity. I remind myself that I will be more patient and energetic towards my family and will be able to help them more efficiently after spending some time on myself. It is interesting how as women we are so culturally trained to place ourselves second. I wonder if many men tend to experience this guilt as well.

-Anat Journo

2 comments:

Romaina M. said...

Many of the barriers that I have faced also came from the idea that I should be doing something for others. Like for example, I should use that time to help out my family. However, in the end my efforts motivate them to take time out for themselves to become involved physical activity.

Romaina M. KIN 338I Kauer

Kerrie Kauer said...

As a male i can say that I haven't felt this barrier, although i can't speak for all the males. It may have to do with my upbringing where my sisters and I are taught that exercise is beneficial for one's self and the one's around you. Which are parents believe and took down the barriers for us to be physically active. Since both my sisters and I play soccer, instead of being faced with a barrier, we are able to connect through this physical activity.

-Chris Chau