Thursday, May 21, 2009

Type 2 to Type 0 to hero!!

Learning about Metabolic Syndrome in class was very helpful for me. Diabetes is an associated disease with Metabolic Syndrome and a disease that many of my relatives and even my mom are suffering from. My mom was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was young and she told me that she got this disease by being overweight. Prior to this class I knew very little about type 2 diabetes even though my mom is suffering from it. I was well aware at the fact that one with type 2 diabetes was unable to produce enough insulin to break down the sugars in her body; however I thought the only way to improve one's situation was to take insulin or a change in eating habits. I have noticed my mom slowly deteriorating away with loss of muscle, loss of energy and even bone density, and it scares me because I didn't know what to do. She wouldn't change her eating habits, she says, "It is just too hard! I love food and sweets way to much to give them up." It was hard hearing that from her because it feels like food is more important than her life and us. I read to my mom from our book about how exercise can greatly improve people with type 2 diabetes. Just walking at a moderate intensity for 30 min can instantly help her body break down glucose. She agreed to start walking with me and our dog everyday and go to the doctor to for insulin, because it is nearly impossible for her to change her eating habits, but I am very grateful for that and I would have never known that exercise could have such great benefits for her. I have faith she will keep it up and I will have my mom around for a lot longer and that makes me ecstatic!


The media has a motto that "Sex sells," and boy do they live by that motto! It is unfortunate that women athletes are being sexualized by the media because more often then not they are shown in bikinis than their sport attire leading most people to believe they are just models. How do these women feel like they are inspiring young girls to be strong and athletic when they pose in such a matter. What needs to be done is advertising of sports, by women, to increase the popularity of their sports. They can do so by posting advertisements that are empowering and intriguing to women on facebook or myspace, or even on web pages that promote diet pills just to sway them from choosing that path. Instead of diet pills join a sports league where you can get in shape and get strong but in a healthy manner. Maybe a website that shows local women sport leagues and photos of real athletes in good shape and having fun. These are all good things that are sure to attract women and increase sport popularity amongst women.

Trisha Tabag

No comments: