Thursday, May 21, 2009

Changed for the better (or maybe worse if your a man)

This class was my first women's class. I didn't think that my views would change very much because I already had considered myself a feminist and was for women's rights. I haven't necessarily changed my views but they haven't become stronger. I almost feel bad for my male roommates when they make sexist comments because now I stand up for women and it usually ends in my making them feel like a-holes. One of the biggest debates I have had was with several co-workers arguing about affirmative action, which was the topic of my panel presentation. This class has opened my interest and made me more knowledgeable about women's rights and minority rights.

I think the internet will continue to be one of the greatest media outlets. Television, paper and the radio do not allow you to search for exactly what you want, you are pretty much stuck listening to what they want to put out there. The internet allows a person to get exactly what they are looking for. This is an essential feature when it comes to women in sports. Not only can a person look up their favorite athlete and get to look at whatever racy photos there are but they will be able to learn about that athletes accomplishments as well. For the most part main stream media concentrates mostly on the good looking female athletes in particular sports. The internet can be used to look up many different sports and many different athletes. I think if interest in women sports shows increase on the web then maybe it will show increase in main stream media.

Tatiana Tseng

No comments: