Thursday, May 21, 2009

Play times over....time for milk and cookies

One fact that I didn’t even know existed in women’s sports were play dates. I am actually shocked that these events took place. Maybe it is because school never taught us about it, or that I was not around in that time period. Today, I feel that women are treated much better when it comes to participating in sports than a few years ago. I just cannot image being a woman back in the times when it was not allowed or proper to be involved in sports. I can see how play dates were allowed, and why women participated in them, but I am still so angry that women were not accepted in the sports world. In a video we watched in class, women were involved in play dates, and there were so many of them. I believe that it was women from different colleges that would come together to “play” but there was no score and no winners. It was just to keep the moral of the women up. Like I said before, I was amazed to find out that such events occurred.

The Internet is a productive vehicle for social change. You can google anything these days, with almost infinite results. There are websites promoting women in sports, women eating healthy, women living well, anything you want to know. Of course, there are websites that show women as submissive, or as objects, but the Internet is definitely a new technology where information is instant, if you want to know something, you just have to google it.
-Final post: Diamond Johnson

No comments: