Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Speeding Towards Social Change

Upon entering our women in sport class, I definitely did not realize the issues around female athletes in the media. Although I had never read them, I had always assumed that magazines such as Sports Illustrated, showed many women inside the pages along with the men. After doing two awareness assignments that had to do with media, I found myself to be very wrong. Not only are women rarely shown, but when they are, they are usually sexualized. Instead of relying on magazines to change their ways, I do feel that the internet could be a very productive vehicle for social change. If there were websites on female sports, fans could have a place to get in depth news, and people interested in sports could have a place to learn more. I do think however, the only way for these websites to gather attention and succeed, is to be advertised on other popular websites or magazines. Maybe if these websites advertised in women's fitness magazines, or other popular women's websites, women would be more aware of the female athletic world out there.

-Jenna Van Orden Kin 338I T/TH 2-3:15

No comments: