Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What women in sport has taught me

When i first came to class on the day of our title IV article discussion, I thought I knew what title IV was all about, but i had no clue as to how deep the legalities and history of it goes. I first thought title IV was a rule enforced by the schools, which made the schools equal out women's and men's sports. Before this class i was unaware that title IV has three areas of concentration in which women must be treated similarly to men, financial assistance, benefits, and accommodation of interest are all covered by title IV. What i found to be really shocking is the number of programs that still do not fully comply with title IV. I think there needs to be a better way of regulating and punishing schools for violations of these rules. I think it is funny how some people believe that title IV took so much away from male athletics, when in reality according to our text book record numbers of high school and college male athletes were reported, title IV simply makes sporting for female more accessible and more enjoyable.

Ryan Dunham Kin. 338I T/TH 2-3:15

No comments: