Thursday, May 21, 2009

Title IX

Title IX is defined as "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance" (stated on wikipedia.com) Before this class I never knew there was such a thing as Title IX under the Department of Education law. I would always say that men in women in every aspect of life shoule be equal, including in sports, but I didnt know that there was something actually passed to do that. I learned how little women teams got funded in both high school and in collegiate sports and found out that it is unfair and they are doing as much as possible now to change there old ways. Although, I knew from the beginning federal funding is geared more towards men, it really surprised me that women get a percentage not even close to that of the men. Depending on the sports that are being federally funded, the different amounts are determined and given to women and men, but since there is not an equal amount of men sports and womens sport, obviously the funding cannot be split equally. When surfing the internet one day I found that there is a title 9 womens clothing store that sells items supporting title IX, I was really surprised that they had a store for that and found it interexting that the internet truly does have Everything on it. (titlenine.com)
After learning about Title IX in somewhat more detail from this class I support it and would, in the future, like to know more about it.
Final post-Daana Hatori

No comments: