Thursday, December 10, 2009

Women For Afghan Women

In my search to post my new blog, I wanted to write about something that was close and personal to me. In search, I came across the Women for Afghan Women website. In their mission statement I found that they are a grassroots civil society organization dedicated to securing and protecting the rights of Afghan women and girls. They are committed to helping Afghan women in there fight for their human rights and challenge the norms that underpin gender-based violence wherever opportunities arise, and focus to influence attitudes and bring about change. They have programs all over the U.S and Afghanistan to help bring about this change. Some of these programs are Family Guidance Centers, Children’s Support Center, and educational and informational seminars. An interesting thing about WAW I found was that their board and staff includes women and men, as well as diverse representation of different age, religion, ethnicity and sexual orientation. Being from Afghanistan, this website opened my eyes in recognize how much help the women and girls in Afghanistan need. Even though America has come a long way in women’s rights, I feel it is important that we influence other countries that are less fortunate like Afghanistan. I strongly believe that in helping Afghan women and girls we will not only further help this country, but we will also help women and girls all around the world.

Ahmad Masood Farhar
Tue-Thur 930 KIN 338I WOMEN IN SPORT 3018 SEC01

No comments: