Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Folding of the Sacramento Monarchs

I have always had a soft spot for both the Sacramento Kings and Sacramento Monarchs because my relatives in Sacramento are avid fans of both. But I was quite surprised to find out that just a few weeks ago, the Maloof brothers decided to get rid of the Sacramento women’s basketball team so that all of their resources could be “dedicated to bringing the Sacramento Kings back to championship caliber form.” It was the first time I’d heard of a women’s sports team being sacrificed for a men’s team at the professional level.

From a financial standpoint, I suppose their reasoning for getting rid of the Monarchs was somewhat logical. According to the article (that can be accessed with the link below), attendance at women’s basketball games were declining despite the successes of the team. But from an equality standpoint, I don’t think that what the Maloof brothers did was fair at all. It isn’t the Monarch’s player’s fault that they aren’t getting spectators for their great playing, yet they have no choice but to be separated and placed into different WNBA teams for the 2010 season.

I believe that situations like this emphasize the importance of increasing awareness of and interest in women’s sport. Had WNBA game attendance not gone down, I’m sure that the Maloof brothers would not have made the decision to disband the Sacramento Monarchs.

http://www.sacbee.com/breaking/story/2338081.html

Maria Gerene Garcia
Section 3023
Tu/Th 2-3:15pm

No comments: