Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Heisman

So after a pretty entertaining sports weekend, well at least for males, I sat back and began of what I was going to write about for this blog. A big part to the end of every year that I look forward to is the Heisman trophy award that is awarded to the most outstanding college football player in the nation. I began to think to myself, do women even receive such an award in any of their collegiate sports. Now, as ignorant as that may sound, please bear with me. ESPN.com, which is a daily visit on my computer, as well as Yahoo sports and a million other sporting websites that I follow had been raving about the Heisman for the past two weeks. Not once in my 20 some years of existence have I ever heard of a WOMEN sports collegiate award ever mentioned in nearly the same breath or the same light that we hold the Heisman trophy too. Now of course I know that there are awards given to female athletes, but in all honesty I couldn't give you the names of them like I could those of Male sports. In college football, theirs the Heisman and many others; in college baseball you have the Dick Howser along with a bunch of others; college basketball has the Naismith award. Other than the Naismith award which I believe is awarded to both sexes, how many of you can name any female college awards? Pretty good question is it not.

(P.S. Toby Gerhart got snubbed for the Heisman)

Aaron Coelho
T-Th 2:00-3:15

No comments: