Thursday, December 17, 2009

Final

  • Did your view of women in sport change as a result of this course? Why or why not?
My view of women in has sport changed significantly as a result of this course. I had no idea of the full extent to which women have progressed in field of athletics. This course opened up my eyes to the struggles women have been through. I really had no idea there were as many restrictions as there were at one time. I thought that women and men has somewhat equal ground in the sports world. I knew there was a difference between the genders, but I had no idea how big. This course made me realize that women still have a long way to go in regards to equality.
  • If you could share one idea from this course with others, what would it be, and why?
If there was one idea I could share with others that I learned from this course it would be that title IX is a scapegoat for actual mismanagement of funds. I found the classroom discussions regarding this information to be the most controversial and interesting. I came from a high school that had a very strong football team. While playing softball we had to pay (Individually) for our equipment, uniforms, etc. The football team got money to build a new stadium, new for new equipment, for nice buses and for the best hotels for away games. Our men's swimming team was cut to allow for more funds for the football team, and everyone was under the impression that it was because of title IX.

Kelly Peters
Tu/Th 2-3:15
KIN 338I

No comments: