Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sketchers Ad Campaign

Since I did my Awareness Assignment on a marketing critique, I found the sketchers article interesting. The company created a shape-up shoe for young girls in which the ad shows a cartoon verson of shape-ups being worn by teen girls. However, the purpose of shape-ups is to promote getting a toned up figure without the need of physical activity. I think the ad is somewhat inappropriate for targeting their campaign towards young girls that send the message that they should be worried about their body image at an early age. I understand that sketchers probably created this campaign for the the revenue aspect of selling shape up, but this is the wrong place and time to sell it to young girls. They use Kim Kardashian as a endorser because the company knows young girls look up to her and if they see her wearing Shape-ups they will want to go out and buy them. According the Sketchers, the purpose of shape-ups is to "tone-up" your legs. I don't think putting this idea into young girls mind is of good judgement. This may lead to them thinking negatively about themselves and being critical of their weight and appearance so early in life. I don't blame the parents who were angered by this ad campaign. If I were a parent, I think I would feel the same way.


Jessica Jimenez
T/Th 9:30 am
kin 338

No comments: