Monday, May 16, 2011

Awareness Assignment

For my Awareness Assignment, I reviewed Women's Health Magazine and my impression of it.
This is what I wrote in my essay and I thought I'd share it with the rest of you since this came as very surprising to me.

"...From first to last, the sections are: Fitness, Sex & Love, Food, Look Better Naked, Weight Loss, and Health. I was very surprised that this being a health magazine, that Health was the last section, especially when the magazine is called Women’s Health. You would think that a magazine called Women’s Health would project an image about happiness and well being, not about appearance. Furthermore, I begin to wonder if this magazine makes women feel insecure about themselves, rather than making them feel confident.
Many women can distinguish between what is real beauty and what is a lie, but what about young girls? What happens when Women’s Health magazine prints articles similar to Cosmopolitan and Allure? Then the line for real and fake beauty is blurred, and they become one and the same. Young women will believe that the beautiful blonde on the cover is what beauty looks like, which cannot be said for every single girl in America."

_Adam S. Kin 338i T/Th

No comments: