Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It seems that absolutely nothing can stop Katie Romano from doing what she wants. Romano is the smallest member of the Chicago Force (her hometown team in the Women's Football Alliance) as well as being hearing impaired. She also plays on the USA Deaf National Women's soccer team. I think this woman is ridiculously fascinating and inspiring. She is basically the same size as myself and also carries a disadvantage by not being able to use her hearing. I would be terrified to participate in such a contact sport as football that also requires a helmet that most likely limits her peripheral vision. Yet she plays with the utmost ferocity and doesn't let anyone hold her back. Romano even considers her lack of hearing an asset to her participation in the sport because her eyesight is all the more enhanced due to compensating being deaf.
This article was also particularly fascinating to me because I had no idea that the Women's Football Alliance even existed, let alone it being the largest football league in the world, boasting 63 teams. It seems that an organization this prominent would be more well known in the sporting world, yet I have never heard of it. I think such a large club with such a vast membership can be empowering and encouraging to women and young girls around the country and it should certainly be receiving more publicity than it currently is.

http://w.espn.go.com/espnw/features-profiles/6527471/chicago-force-cornerback-katie-romano-proves-naysayers-wrong

Emily Teramoto
KIN 338I Sec 05

No comments: