Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Roxy Chicken Jam"

Roxy, the largest surf, snow and skate company for girls, is holding a snowboard competition called the "Roxy Chicken Jam." This year will be the 4th annual competition. It is a big competition, holding a prize purse of $150,000, and a very competitive one as well. I think it is great.
However, before I get to my point I want to give you some history on Roxy itself. Roxy is the 1st brand for surf, skate, and snow women. The company has been around since 1990, and has broken through many of the barriers against women competing in these sports. They have given women with passion for these sports opportunity, and are still thriving to give them the same opportunities as the men.
What shocked me about this competition is the name, "Chicken Jam." Did Roxy name it this because it is a girl competition? Quicksilver, the men's version of Roxy, would never name one of their contests the "Chicken Jam."
'Chicken' is a name you would call someone who is scared or weak. It doesn't make sense as to why Roxy, being a company based on women with guts, would name their biggest all women competition with a 'chicken' in it.
Tell me what you think.

Here is the link if you want to see it for yourself,

http://www.roxy.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=2890049

Erika B.
Section 338I

No comments: