Sunday, March 2, 2008

female refs are JUST as qualified as male refs

Reading this article not only infuriated and insulted me; but even worse it still reinstates the indifference of how men and women are treated differently. I know that with different religions, there are still some ‘rules’ that they try to follow since morals and values teaches many life long valuable lessons. It is personal to me since I’ve played basketball from 3rd grade until I graduated High School. I’ve seen countless female referees at our school and they are just as fair and qualified as male referees. They are even stricter throughout the game in my opinion; and often will be less tolerant on certain types of fouls. I have never seen any fan or athlete speak disrespectfully about a female referee other than being in-game process. (Example: athlete feels they were/weren’t fouled and it was/wasn’t called; but that’s game related). I really do hope that they would be eventually banned from being in the list of approved schools and not allowed to compete against any other school; no matter what religion the school is founded on.

Kitty F, t/th 9 30 am - 11 am
Kin 338I, S 6.

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

I agree with you Kitty. I've also played basketball for a long time and I've had both female and male refs and they are on the same level as far as fairness and quality go. The fact that I am a female that referees occasionally makes this event even more insulting. I can't believe that we are living in the 21st century and discrimination like this still exists in our society. I don't care if it's because of their religious beliefs.These people need to wake up and realize that we are in the 21st century now and women are in positions of authority over men in many places around America. On Friday I went to a C.I.F finals game at the Pyramid and there were 3 refs and all of them were female and it made me think of this article. I didn't even notice that they were all female until my friend pointed it out.(Because it doesn't matter) I really hope that some action is taken in this matter and the school will face appropriate consequences because this is ridiculous. I wonder if that school has female teachers because teachers are in a position of authority in classrooms.

Tiarra W. KIN 338I Sec.6
TUTH 9:30am-10:45am