Tuesday, December 16, 2008

There's No Crying in Baseball

I recently felt the urge to watch one of my favorite childhood movies, A League of Their Own. Even after a decade of its initial release, this film remains one of my favorites to watch again. Behind the high-profile celebrity cast and entertaining/comical storyline, is a true story of the first All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (AAGPBL). The AAGPBL was established during the 1940’s in efforts to keep Major League Baseball active in the United States, while men were overseas during World War II. The film follows the intimate and professional lives of some of the female players on the Rockford Peaches team, showing their struggles and triumphs during their time of participation in the league. Real-life stories of how the female athletes were required to play baseball in skirts and attend etiquette classes are reenacted in the film. The film also does an exceptional job in showing how important and empowering participating in organized baseball was for women at the time.

I encourage anyone and everyone to see this movie. A League of Their Own is a moving real-life story which outlines one of the historical times in society that has contributed to the progression of female athlete participation in the United States.

Laura Wong, KIN338I Section01

5 comments:

Kerrie Kauer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerrie Kauer said...

So true! I love A League of Their Own! Like you said, in addition to its all-star cast, it is a very accurate depiction of the time period.

One thing that stands out to me throughout the movie is the criticism of Marla. Even though she has "swing of Demagio", she is regarded as some sort of monster because of her appearance and unfeminine way. The beauty school instructor remarks that the only thing that would make her presentable would be "night games". This standard that is forced upon female athletes, both new and old, is beyond reasonable.

Female athletes are athletes, not itemized sex-objects.

David Lockwood
KIN 338I Section 1

Kerrie Kauer said...

I also love this movie. It is one of my family’s favorite films to watch together. The cast is completely fitting and makes the movie come to life.

The way everything was set up from, the beauty school to the dancing scenes, they showed that even though these young strong women were able to play a man’s sport, they still had to maintain a girlish way of life off the field.

The relationship between Dottie and Kit steals my heart. It really shows how sports and the love of the game can mix with family, even though Dottie gave Kit the moment to shine over her.

Ashley Covert kin 338I.S6

Kerrie Kauer said...

I’m just another person to show some love for A League of Their Own. I’ve been watching this movie since I was little, when my mom would watch it, and being the sports fan I am, I loved it. It didn’t get a lot of the social commentary back then, but watching it now, I appreciate it on a completely differently level.

When we would sit in class and listen to some of the stories about how these girls at Memphis State (I think) would run at track meets, and then immediately run and fix their hair and make-up, I would think of this movie, and all the etiquette classes they had to go through, and skirts they had to wear. I think we should have watched it during class lol.

Sean Dalton
KIN 338I Section 6

Kerrie Kauer said...

I think this movie is a classic and is also one of my favorite sports movies. I think it is amazing what these women did and what they acomplished.

Of course watching the movie now after taking this class differnt things stand out to me then when i was a kid. Things like how they had to take these beauty classes and still wear dresses when the played. Although, even though they still had to deal with these types of issuses they still made a large step for women everywhere when they competed in a males sport.

Alesia Garrolini