Monday, December 15, 2008

On the other side of sports Diana Guzman

Ever since high school, I always played sports. It's became a part of me. I never really saw how athletes can go beyond extremes to stay in the games. To me Playing injured, in bad weather,or having coaches scream at you was all part of the game and the sport. Whenever a teammate said it was too much, I would think that they weren't suited to be in a posts and they should just quit.
I help my friend coach the boy' soccer team at a high school, and during games I see how "into" the game he can get. He screams and yells, and even though he does not direct it to the athletes I can see how it affects some of the boys. these boys have never played sports, and he expects too much from them. From getting injured, and telling them they have to play like that, and he tells them how when we played i high school, we played injured or not, they should be able to stick through the pain. Of course in other circumstances I would agree, but being in the class and seeing the video"Plying to the extremes" and learning about deviance, I learn that there are limits to sports. There is so much an athlete can take,and pushing them beyond their limit can be harmful..

No comments: