Monday, December 15, 2008

Russian Sex Symbols in Sport

When looking for information about Russian women athletes I came across interesting information that made me question the advancements of women in sport. When I would type Russian women in sport in the search engine of Google, the very first website it brought me to was entitled, “Is Tennis the Sexiest Sport in the World? Russian Women…” The article then went on to say how much more interest the writer had due to the sexy athletes that participate in the sport. He then went on to say, “This is especially true if I get the chance to watch ladies like this getting all hot and sweaty while running back and forth chasing a fuzzy ball in skimpy outfits on a green court.” In order to generate interest in women in sport, it shouldn’t revolve around being a sex symbol. Why can’t we as women feel comfortable in our own skin, be athletes and enjoy the game?
Sarah DiCiurcio

No comments: