Saturday, March 5, 2011

"Workout clothing goes sleek and versatile"

As I was researching women and sports I came across an article in the LA Times, titled “Workout clothing goes sleek and versatile” it basically talked about a new women’s workout clothing line, which included sleeker thinner outfits. Vice president of merchandising, design and product development for Athleta Kelly Cooper said, “Women want to look good while exercising,". It went on about how women needed to dress “skimpier” in order to be motivated to hit the gym. Furthermore the article elaborates on the new style describing tops and bottoms.
In my opinion what you wear while working out does not affect your results, granted proper shoes, gym shorts and top be worn. My personal experience on going to the gym I always see the women who wear the sexier looking outfits more relaxed and taking it easy. This may not be the case for all women, but the majority of women who I have seen wearing tighter clothing always seem more worried about their makeup running, or who is looking at them. On the other hand you have the women who seem to really be into their workout sweating and panting, and they don’t seem to be worried about their clothing. Again it goes back to stereotyping women, claiming that by wearing sexier clothing motivates women to workout. When it is not always the case.

Ana Medrano, KIN 338I T-Th 9:30-10:45

2 comments:

Asia Shelby said...

I could relate to this post because I work out four days a week and when I get ready for the gym I have to wear a certain type of attire. I do not agree with the clothing becoming sleeker and thinner because that sounds as if the clothing will be close to see through and I think that is inappropriate. considering the fact that there are children who attend the gym. I do not think that sexier clothing motivate women to work out but having self- confidence and focus does. Sexier clothing will just draw unwanted attention.
I am one of the women who prefer to wear tighter clothing to the gym. Not because I want attention or because I want to look sexier, it's simply because I feel more comfortable and I get a better work out. Ive tried to work out in looser clothing and while working out I felt as if I was being held back and I could not perform to the best of my ability. Baggy clothes are too constricting for me. When choosing workout gear looking good isn't my only consideration, I choose clothes that will stretch and bend with me and that always tend to be the tighter clothing. You don't want to choose loose-fitting or short shorts, and then not be able to use the machines or do floor exercises that require a straddle position. I also have the best work out in my tighter clothing. I put more energy into my work out while wearing tighter clothing. I sweat and pant as hard as anybody else without being worried about my appearance. My motivation are the people who i've seen progress over the years and people who put effort and dedication in their workouts.

Asia Shelby kin338i tu/thu 9:30-10:45

Kerrie Kauer said...

I found this topic very interesting because I think a lot of women are judged by other women when we go to the gym or any other fitness center to work out. We are constantly looking at other women, maybe because we want to look like them or maybe because of what they are wearing. It is interesting that you brought up a point about certain women who do wear the tighter, "sexier" outfits are normally the ones who do have make-up on or are worried about how they look throughout a work-out. I think this has to do with confidence levels as well. I know girls who have to wear make-up while they work out simply because they don't go anywhere public without make-up on. I also think that certain women just want attention at the gym, whether it be from another women or even a guy.

Personally I don't care much about how I look while I am working out and try not to pay attention to others either. I sweat a lot and if I were to be concerned about how I look at the gym then I would most definitely get less of a work-out in an effort to sweat less and look "pretty" while running (HA!). I don't pay attention to most other people while I am working out anyway. I think some women just have a need to wear those tight clothes or short shorts, but so be it..I think to each his/her own. If someone needs to wear a certain something for motivation then they should, but personally I am just not that girl!

GRACELYN CAMMARERI
KIN 338I- SEC 5 #4779
SPRING 2011