Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Title IX for sports illustrated?

I have been a subscriber to Sports Illustrated for over 5 years now and honestly never noticed that woman didn't get equal coverage. I think everybody has their own biases and I think mine actually disservice women because I care more about the college athletics than pro. That isn't just because I'm in college now, it's because I think the pageantry and passion in college is far more abundant than in the pros. The reason I say this is because at the beginning of the college basketball year (my favorite sport) SI releases the pre-season top 25 lists of both men's and women's hoops and a picture from both men's and women's teams. When I see that article I think "see! coverage is equal and fair why do so many people constantly complain that women don't get coverage, they have a woman on the cover of SI playing basketball" and while that may be the case it is far from the norm. From the last 4 issues there has only been one story that had a focus on a woman that was competing. It consisted of a two page picture and a small caption showing Veronica Campbell-Brown winning the 60 meter dash just ahead of U.S.A. runner Lauryn Williams. There was no follow up article. The only place that S.I. has fair representation is in the amateur section. Their is a section called "faces in the crowd" which highlights high school and amateur players who have just accomplished big things and they always have 3 guys and 3 girls. That led me to think should S.I. have to abide by some sort of Title IX rules? I personally think they should start Women's S.I. and of course switch the title to Men's S.I. This wouldn't be uncharted territory since there is a kid's S.I. I think it would do a great deal to help improve the image of the WNBA, women's golf, women's soccer, women's beach volleyball and many other professional womens sports because if things are left as they are I will continue to know very little about women in sport.

Zeke Lyons
Kin 338I section 05

No comments: