Tuesday, March 8, 2011

“Kick Like A Girl”

Today’s documentary on the team of young girl soccer players was appealing to me. I found this young group of girls around the ages of eight to be filled with so much confidence. It was impressive to see them so humble and willing to work hard to be the best. They seemed so mature for their age.

What I disliked about the film was the notion that the girls couldn’t compete with the boys. Just like any of our opinions, I feel that our ideas stem from the social construct of others and that’s how we are raised. It may be from our caregivers or just an idea created socially. An unfortunate fact in society, is females do not have the potential to compete with males. It also falls on the shoulders of the parents in the film because the this idea is passed onto their children. I personally find this offensive if someone were to tell me I cannot do something because of my gender. I think that the girls and the coach as well, had a positive attitude and didn’t let anyone’s opinion get to them.

Jessica Jimenez
T/TH 9:30-10:45
kin 338I.Section 4779

No comments: