Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Equally Nude

Since I’ve gotten my topic for the discussion panel I have been reading a lot on athletes posing nude and/or provocatively. For the panel I am arguing against women athletes showing too much skin for any reason. My actual thoughts on the idea were, well, I didn’t have any thoughts. I felt that I couldn’t say women do it more to get them exposure because I have Dan O’Brien’s Versace Ad picture as my screensaver. Recently I saw Chad “OchoCinco” Johnson’s PETA ad and all I could think about was football.
I ran into an article that equally had arguments from all sides. Some woman not agreeing with the athlete’s decision but the athlete coming back at the criticism as “bull”. The director of the Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport at the University of Minnesota said, “All I’m asking for is equal treatment….When Tiger Woods is on the cover of Sports Illustrated naked, holding a golf ball with the Nike swoosh in front of genitals, I’ll be quiet.” (No one wants to see that but her.) From the athletes perspective they are embracing their bodies. Swimmer Ashley Tappin said, “We’re healthy. We’re fit. And we’re not just cute; we do good things with our bodies. They are functional. Why not show them off? (How about winning races with them?)
I feel I have to do more reading on the subject or actually go out and get real opinions. Is it the older generations that are having the issues and they need to lighten up as swimmer Jenny Thompson says? As a young woman I’ve always looked up to Venus and Serena Williams as amazing athletes. I paid no attention to how short their skirts were or what color bloomers they wore until everyone made a big deal on how inappropriate it was. When the article was talking about her bloomers I was just wondering how her match went. Possibly there could be an agreement on what’s appropriate for the times.




Dan O'Brien (Decathlon American Record Holder)

Jarvina McClain
KIN 338I
T/Th 9:30

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

In contrast to your blog my dicussion panel topic argues that female have the right and the choice to pose provocatively for the media and garner attention for themselves. I'm not fully informed about the arguing statement in favor of women's sexuality in sport but from my point of view I have no problem with that. According to Inca Designs featured industry's most prized publication, the 2011 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, the swimsuit issue has over 66 million readers exposed only to the print version of the issue (including myself used as a workout motivation.) Also this issue issue receives the largest circulation of any magazine in the world. From my point of view, I'm from Puerto Rico and I try to surf on a regular basis. In Puerto Rico women surf with the tiniest bikinis and people have no problem with it. Unlike Puerto Rico, when I surf in Californa there's only selective days that you could surf on a bikini because water is freezing. I remember one day I was surfing on my bikini in a Huntington Beach and besides getting the right of way for waves, my friend was outside taking pictures and she told me that the life guards near the tower we were out where talking about that girl surfing on a "thong" as if it was a big deal. In Puerto Rico, comments like that are rare but then again it all depends on the culture and personal perspectives.
Your blog article, is very interesting and I can see how woman are more exposed that man. I definitely think that female and male athletes should be exposed equally and that a Male Swimsuit of Sport Illustrated should be issued as well with many pictures of David Beckham.
Lorena Gómez
T-Th kin 338I.S6 (2:00pm)