Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Girls Playin' Some Ball!

I'm sure a few people have already commented on this since it was sent out in an email, but I was so excited when I read this article. I remember when I was 8 and played youth baseball because the girls leagues were so terrible, and coaches would sit me because I "made the boys feel bad when I batted better than them." Needless to say I ended up switching to softball because of all the negativity with girls playing baseball.

It's absolutely horrible the things girls have to put up with when they play sports with men. While one girl had more support in her achievements, the other girl told the reporter how she would get bullied by the other boys and even threatened to hurt her or throw baseballs in her face. I'm absolutely in awe at the courage and the stamina these girls have to put up with such difficulties and become the best in their sport. Not only do they have to compete with boys, they can't make mistakes because if they did it wouldn't be because they were having an "off" day but because they "are girls." It's so much pressure and to have two girls make it to that level and face off is incredible.

I hate that when I go to batting cages, I get cut in line for the fast pitch baseball machine and get pushed to the slow arc fast pitch. It's the best feeling to hit a 85 mph baseball while the guys next to you struggle. I'm so glad these girls had the courage to stand up for themselves and play for the love of the sport-it gives some hope that change is still happening for women in sports and that girls will continue to stand up for themselves. It was clear in the article that after the girls proved themselves, the boys seemed supportive of them which is awesome and I hope it stays that way for them.

I only wish they would say "Yeah I throw like a girl and thats why I strike you out." Clearly throwing like a boy isn't whats winning them games here!


Michelle Fenn
Kin 338I
2-3:15 T/R

No comments: