Tuesday, April 29, 2008

IndyCar Winner

I was driving to school last week when I decided to turn on my radio. I tuned in to 102.7 Kiss FM when Ryan Seacrest was doing his “On Air with Ryan Seacrest” show. I was about to change to another station when I heard him introducing Danica Patrick, who just won her first Indy car race. She won the Indy Japan 300 and became the first woman to win an IndyCar race. One of the first questions that Ryan Seacrest asked her was “do you put more pressure on yourself than the media put on you?” In which she responded, “Yes, because at the end of the day, if I give everything I got, I don’t care what anyone else say”. I thought her response really showed how courageous she is. The pressure the media and others put on her has been well documented and quite outrageous at times. I found an article with the title, “Danica Patrick First Woman To Win IndyCar Race, Proves She’s Not Just A Piece Of Meat” I thought the latter part of the title was quite offensive, but I feel extremely happy for what she has accomplished. Other comments that she mentioned during the interview that really caught my attention were “I’m in a male dominated sport” and “the people who are not convinced before are not convinced now, I’m sure”. I thought it was interesting that she was able to be aware of the type of situation/sport that she is in and at the same time defeat the odds while excelling in what she enjoys doing. I believe that her success is not only historical but will also encourage other women to excel in sports, even if the sport is considered “male-dominated”.

http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/LOSANGELES-CA/KIIS-FM/danicapatrick042208.mp3

http://jalopnik.com/381837/danica-patrick-first-woman-to-win-indycar-race-proves-shes-not-just-a-piece-of-meat

Nehemiah L. KIN 338I Sec. 6

Tu/Th 9:30am

No comments: