Monday, April 21, 2008

First woman to win an IndyCar race

I was on the ESPN website today and I found it exciting that Danica Patrick became the first woman to win an IndyCar race in LONG BEACH, Calif. It was the final weekend of the American open that Danica Patrick took her win. This was considered front page news, in fact I can easily say it was the first thing that caught my eye. I opened the link and read the article only to be disappointed. I realize that ESPN is focused to the male audience but why do they always have to put a damper on every woman article? Within the first three paragraphs they were turning a victory into a scandal. The third paragraph began by saying,” Patrick led only three of 200 laps, and she certainly didn't have the fastest car on the Twin Ring Motegi oval nestled in the mountains northwest of Tokyo. Her win was the product of a disciplined final stint that allowed her to stretch a 22-gallon tank of ethanol further than anyone else. But a win is a win is a win. "I believe that this is an excellent legal strategy preformed by a talented racer. Although, due to the tone of the writer and words chosen, ESPN seems to be angry that it was founded by a woman. Anyone disagree?

Jennifer C kin 338I

No comments: