Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Women and MMA

With the recent rise in popularity of mixed martial arts, the sport has been in the mainstream media significantly more than before. I can remember getting with a bunch of my friends and going to our buddy's house to watch his illegal japanese stream to watch Pride events live that we couldn't get otherwise. I've always been involved in combat sports and thought they were great to teach discipline and respect for your opponents. However, in light of recent controversy I thought it was important to talk about the involvement of women in a sport that many consider even too brutal for men.

Dana White (UFC's president) has gone on record as saying "women have no place in this sport". However, there have been notable (and astonishingly talented) women competing in MMA for years. Let's break this down in mathematical terms-- here we have a sport that we are labeling "brutal" (which I don't agree with). Once something is labeled brutal, it is automatically assumed women should not participate because women are "Delicate" and can't handle this type of thing. It's really too bad that we limit what women can do based on silly labels that we place on ALL things, but in this case sports.

Bennett L.
Kin338i Sec.02

1 comment:

axel d.kin338is2 said...

Ithink every person has the right to participate in any sport. Although sometimes I consider myself a bad person, I have to admit that the UFC and the MMA are brutal, unhumane and I don't know what also. But, as I said whoever wants to get involved thats fine. I love Gina Carano and I wouldn't like that prety face get all messsed up, I dont care about the rest of them.