Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Before this semester, I don't think gender inequality in sports was something I thought about. I mean, call me naive but, I think the system is set up so that women and girls do not pay attention to those things. All through grade school and high school, the only thing most females thought about was playing. I don't even think most female athletes paid attention to the fact that the Title IX pamphlet we got at the beginning of each season read our rights. Yea, we hear Title IX but I'm sure that very few understood that Title IX essentially gives females permission to compete in athletics. It took me to take a Women In Sports class to get a grasp of the oppression that women faced before laws like Title IX were put in place. I didn't even know that women were not allowed to interact in a competitive manner in certain areas for so long. I'm sure I'm not alone and it reveals that institutional changes should be made in order for girls and women to be more knowledgeable about the past, which would ultimately allow them to appreciate the opportunity more. Our female predecessors did brave things like stand in front of someone in the bare skin with Title IX written on their bodies in black marker in order to get some sort of equality and I thank them.

-Champagne J.
Kin338I

No comments: