Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pat Summit!!


As I am following the Women's NCAA Basketball tournament it has made me pay more attention than ever to the amazing and most winningest coach of Tennessee's women's team, Pat Summitt and I came across this article: http://www.npr.org/2012/03/27/149472833/season-ends-for-legendary-coach-pat-summitt.  Her and her Lady Vol's just lost to the amazingly talented Baylor team yesterday, which could have put Summitt into her 19th final four.  She has been coaching for 38 seasons now, and after this game everyone is trying to figure out what is in Summitt's future, and if she will retire or return for her 39th season as head coach.  This woman is a huge role model and big influence for all women wanting to be a coach.  She persevered through so much, and even was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and fought through it this past year.  Regardless what she chooses to do, I hope she is truly honored for her work.  She is an amazing coach and is better than pretty much every coach even the male coaches.  I hope she inspires many more women to want to be coaches and help them to realize how great they can be.  As I did research for my panel position paper I came across a couple articles that talked about how its impossible for women coaches to have long careers because of marriage and children, but Pat Summitt went against the odds and had a long and very successful career as the head coach of a women's basketball team!  I hope everyone will remember her not only as a coach but as a WOMAN!!!!

Tiffany Brickey
KIN 338I Wed 4-6:45pm

No comments: