Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sport Selling Image or Image Selling Sport?

The other day I received a local advertising magazine in the mail. On the cover was an unidentified female skier, in full U.S. Olympic attire. The photo showed a young, female athlete on the slops in perfect form. The magazine is called IMAGE magazine and promotes cosmetic procedures and beauty products. My initial reaction was, “Oh, this must be Lindsey Vonn.” So I looked everywhere in the magazine for the identification of the person on the cover. Nowhere in the magazine did it state who the person was. I had to ask myself, “Why use an image of Lindsey Vonn, or any athlete for that matter in a magazine that has nothing to do with sports?” I looked through the magazine to see if there were any articles about sports or Lindsey Vonn, and there wasn’t. The only articles and/or advertisements that the magazine featured were for liposuction, breast augmentations, facial surgeries and various types of beauty products. Does anyone else find this strange to use a sports figure to sell beauty image? Is it Lindsey Vonn’s image that draws people to the sport, or is her success as a skier that’s being used to sell an image? There certainly are other top-ranked skiers not being used to promote body image. Obviously Lindsey Vonn is an amazing skier who also happens to be very attractive. I think her name is not featured in the magazine because the world recognizes her as more than just an Olympic skier.

Chloe Neter
KIN 338I.S6

No comments: