Monday, March 8, 2010

New Mexico vs. BYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHtwfem3WRw
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4629837

With my sister being highly competitive in soccer, it wasn't without doubt that after this incident at the New Mexico vs. BYU soccer game, my mom and sister knew about it right away. I hadn't seen the video, or looked it up, purely because I never had the time to actually watch it. However, just the other day I looked it up and am completely appalled that this soccer player was able to get away with half of what she did before getting ejected from the game, and also suspended from playing future games.

According to the ESPN article, Lambert had apologized to all the soccer players and the university, however I feel that something as simple as a "sorry" doesn't suffice for all the damage she has done to her reputation along with New Mexico's reputation. It's incidents like these that catch the media's attention and put such a bad light on women in sports and does no justice to those of us out there trying to further the advancement of women in sports. I do hope for the best for Lambert, and hope that all women soccer players learn from her mistakes, in order to further the involvement of women in sports in all levels.

No comments: