Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Female Portrayals on SI.com

In class we have been touching a lot on negative portrayals of women’s athletics, so for this assignment I wanted to focus on something positive to praise female athletes. Although I only visited one site, I thought I would post something about what I saw when visiting this homepage. It was disappointing to me because I wanted to focus on something that was more positive, but in turn offended me a little after seeing no praise or stories about female athletes on the Sports Illustrated website. If one were to visit their homepage, they would see that all but one of the sport stories covers male athletic teams from different trades and forecasts in the games to come. The only story that featured women’s athletics was the story about the University of Connecticut’s Women’s Basketball team with their amazing winning record streak. The other stories that featured women were sadly only used for sexual appeal as they were advertising their new 2010 swimsuit magazine. Being a female athlete at the Beach, I find this disappointing because I feel that at our institution, there is a fair amount of stories that feature our female athletes and their great accomplishments and performances. I wish that a national sports news company would use the same tactics and not only use women to sell a magazine that does not showcase their athletic talent, as the model Hilary Rhoda on the cover was not even an athlete.


Denise Nunez

KIN 338I T/TH 9:30-10:45

No comments: