Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Female coaches coming out

For my panel position paper I received the topic of pro female coaches/athletes coming out. That hits a personal spot for me because I am a female gay coach. Some of my older, higher level athletes (and their parents) know that I am gay, but it is not something that I have openly addressed with any parent except for one. I am a women’s gymnastics coach for athletes five to eighteen years old, and even though all of my coworkers and bosses encourage me to come out 100% I can’t seem to do it. Since I got this topic about female coaches coming out I have been asking myself why I haven’t come out and I think I’ve found the answer. It is not a noble answer but it is the truth. It is easier for me, and for the children I currently coach if I don’t come out. There is so much drama associated with this topic that I feel I put the child at risk of having to handle unnecessary baggage. If I have an ignorant parent, the child will be pulled from my team. That is why I haven’t come out, but after much thought I have realized why I should. A child having an ignorant parent does not mean I should shelter them from reality. One day that athlete will be an adult and will be able to make decisions for herself and life experiences, including ones athletes have with coaches, are an important developmental process. I will also contribute to changing the path of how our society views gay and lesbian coaches by making our presence known. The more coaches that come out the less “abnormal” it will be and it will become more accepted for future generations. Helping our future societal standards become more equal is an extremely good reason for me to come out.
Ashley Chatman Kin 338I

No comments: