Friday, November 20, 2009

Female Athletes Posing Provocatively

From the panel debates I discovered that I am a hypocrite. Especially, around the topic of provocative posing and sports. It was hard for me to take one side during the debate. I found myself caught in the middle. As a mother, I understood that it is bad representation for our children. Female athletes who pose provocatively can show our children, especially young girls, that indecent exposure is ok. And I would not want my little girl to ever under-represent herself. On the other hand, I understood the opposing view that posing provocatively is the only way that these female athletes will earn as much money as male athletes (who do not pose provocatively). It is wrong and unfair that women do not get paid as much as men who play sports. So it only makes sense that these female athletes make up the difference in their pay by posing provocatively.
Prior to the panel presentations, I felt that provocative posing was not good for female representation or sport. And I felt that female athletes should not pose provocatively. So, I learned from this panel presentation that I don’t know how I feel about female athletes and provocative posing.

Ann Marie E.
Kin 338I Section 3018

No comments: