Sunday, November 22, 2009

Elizabeth Lambert - 2009 BYU and New Mexico

Nichelle Anderson KIN338I.S6

I recently had the opportunity to go to a soccer game of young ladies aging from 15 to 17 years of age. I have never been to a soccer game and have never really played, except for what they require you to do in school. I was quite shocked by the amount of brute force these young ladies were using. Since I didn't really understand what all they were allowed to get away with I asked allot of questions to those around me. This sparked my curiosity about Elizabeth Lambert and what I had caught on a MSN web homepage picture. After looking up the now quite recognized video of Miss Lambert, I was quite disturbed by this young women, she has such balls to be so down right mean on the field. Miss Lambert not only punched one player in the back, she pulled one players ponytail so hard she hit the ground face down. Miss Lambert proceeds to kick another player down, slide into one knocking her down, and finally karate chocking one player to the front of the neck and smacking her on the back of the head. The video does not say if Miss Lambert was punished or if all this type of behavior is completely allowed. Somewhere this young lady has lost the spirit of what it is to enjoy playing a sport and being a team player only to become so competitive she will due anything in her physical power to win at all cost, no matter who she takes down.

2 comments:

Kerrie Kauer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerrie Kauer said...

Recently, there has been some talk of taking Elizabeth Lambert out of the game of soccer permanently. Meaning, which she will not get to finish playing at UNM or even, never play again. I remember reading a interview of her saying that if it was a men’s soccer game it would be ok, and yet because she is a girl that she shouldn’t act like that. I fully agree with Elizabeth Lambert statement, we most of the time see these kinds of fouls being made in men’s sports events, i sometimes expect it. Yet when it’s a female it’s wrong? is being highly
competitive just a quality of men’s sports? NO. I agree that she did commit a few fouls that were out of line, but the BYU team also made some bad fouls. None the less, that’s what happens when people get highly competitive in men and women’s sports. Competitiveness, I think is a great human quality and some times in sports it pushes us to far, which can happen to the best of athletes.