Monday, October 11, 2010

Women Coaches

In the article "She's the one", it is pointed out that Natalie Randolph is a female has nothing to do with her ability to coach high school football. I completely agree with this. The administrators picked who they thought was best for the job and male should not be one of the requirements to be a football coach. The one thing I might argue is that she has never played on a high school football team. I did not notice until I reached high school that it really makes a difference whether your coach has actually played at the level you are playing at. My coaches prior to high school would tell me how long they watched the sport but you really need to have been out there on the field to understand how the game is played. At least Randolph played semipro women's football. She may not know exactly what goes on in a guy's head but she has been on the field.
Hopefully this will be a big step for women who are coaching other sports as well. We have discussed that women are often passed up for coach's positions and now maybe people will realize that there is no reason to pick someone based on gender. I am a girls soccer coach at a high school and have never though about women being passed over in coaching jobs. Even though I am the only female on the coaching staff for soccer there have been women coaches before me. I recently heard about women coaches not being taken seriously in one of the local soccer clubs and it was my first experience with the issue. I do not want to continue to come across this issue. Hopefully people will not look at the fact that Randolph lost her first game and will instead focus on all the other things that make her qualified for the job.
Samantha H.
Kin 338I S6

No comments: